Sorry to read that the ancestral homes are no longer. That's got to give a bit of a hollow ring to your efforts in finding them. My condolences for that.

Oh heck, not at all. I'm sure those places were condemned for a reason, to the point that they were demolished in a place where even now, fifty years later, only part has been replaced with modern structures. So it ain't like there was a public domain demand for the property.

Referencing the beginning of this thread, I spent my own childhood living just a half mile or so from the sea in one of those little brick multistory row houses, so did everyone I knew, and as it must have been for my grandfather so it was the seashore was our playground.

In any case, most of the town itself, which must have been as familiar to them as our own streets are to us, is still intact. For example, this was practically on their front door step.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking up from the wharf to the exact location their house stood, plainly things ain't changed all that much on the seaward side of that wall... grin

[Linked Image]

From there they looked out across the harbor to the harbor mouth and open sea, must been a pretty powerful pull.

[Linked Image]

..and the old town between there and the cathedral is still mostly intact, the satellite dishes are something new tho...

[Linked Image]