The Peak District National Park is maybe 50 miles south to north, but it took me a day and a half to cross. Partly the terrain, and partly because I quit early on the first day in when I came across a youth hostel at Castleton. Whatever happened I weren't but a few days away from being done, and it gave me a chance to catch up on laundry and download pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are the series of reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley, in 1943 Lancaster Bombers were roaring up this shot, training for the Dam Busters mission.

[Linked Image]

The Peak District marks the southern end of the Pennines, an ancient Carboniferous-era anticline extending up the center of England. Once you leave the park on the Northern end you are still in the Pennines. Might be the only difference is outside the park they can do stuff like this....

[Linked Image]

What I was doing after I got north of the park was crossing north over a series of steep-sided valleys running west to east. The going was slow. Everyone understands getting off to walk uphill,but there were places I got off to walk down uber-steep stretches, otherwise I was having to squeeze so hard on the brakes I feared the cables would pull loose.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744