Nudging the thread along some more.

I found Britain to be prettier than Ireland, there's more parts to it, different landforms, whereas away from the West Coast Ireland seemed sorta uniform; rolling glaciated terrain.

Much of the south of England has always been surprisingly open terrain, seemingly shallow soils over an underlaying bedrock of chalk. So it was more'n 50 miles inland from the coastal chalk cliffs, in the 19th Century the locals could create two rival images of a horse by scraping away the overlaying dirt. Here's one....

[Linked Image]

Not far from Stonehenge, this general regions IIRC is referred to as the Salisbury Plain...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There was a large and sparsely populated military training area and RAF facility. While crossing this area on a quiet backroad I had my second great good fortune of the trip.

[Linked Image]

Moments after taking that grassland pic towards the end of a long day, one of the bolts holding the front luggage rack to the forks, one that bore most of the weight, sheared off and broke after three years and more'n 5,000 miles of use. I had no extra bolts long enough to replace it so was effectively sidelined.

Not five minutes after that happened a former Serviceman and plane mechanic pulled up in his worked-over Landrover to see if I needed help. One of them natural genius mechanics, the guy was hauling around practically a parts department in his vehicle. He found a bolt that fit and directed me to an inexpensive pub/campground not far away.

One of three former British Servicemen I conversed with on this trip, and in every case I was impressed.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744