Day 3 in Ireland and the Republic at last.

Had to check; there was no "Welcome to the Republic of Ireland" sign. No border checkpoint, nada. Heck I could be here illegally fer all I know.

Here's the border southwest of Eniskillen.

[Linked Image]

...and a word on money. Since getting here I have carried Isle of Man pounds, English pounds, Scottish pounds, Ulster pounds and now I was into the realm of the Euro.

All of these have gotten away from paper to the point that the smallest paper currency is the 5 pound note (about $7.50) or the five euro note (about $6).

Ya end up carrying a lot of coins, I have to have a coin purse, its a pain.

[Linked Image]

Here was a surprise; freshly cut peat drying (ha ha) outside of Carrick-on-Shannon. Didn't see a bog, just a low spot with trees on it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was the end of the day and I was seriously tempted to camp there, but I pushed on and ended up camped out fer nothing on the grass behind a pub next to a canal. Two nights in a row I did the pub thing, making up for funds spent on hotels (like $90 per) in Ulster.

[Linked Image]

Bricks of peat for sale outside a convenience store.

[Linked Image]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744