Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Royce
Serious question for those in the know
Given the most effective bullet in each cartridge, which would be more effective on deer or black bear- the 22/250 or the 243?
I am wondering if the higher velocity of the 22/250 trumps the heavier bullet weight of the 22/250.

You can get good speeds with an 80 or 85 grain bullet in the 243 and see mostly DRT kills.

100 grain Sierra Gamekings will give mostly DRT kills in the 243 as well.

The 55 Gameking and 100 Gameking kill deer very well. Not much difference on Missouri whitetails.

60 grain Partitons kill deer very easily too as do 95 grain Partitons from my 6mm.

Place the bullets in same spot and the end result will be hanging deer.

Not sure about the bears though.
I honestly haven't seen much difference between the .223, 22-250 and .243 myself. All will turn a deers lungs to soup. You don't pull the lungs out of a deer shot with any of them, you pour them out. I've killed a lot of deer with a .30-30 and it's been a favorite of mine for decades but there is no doubt a .223 or .22-250 trashes a deers lungs far worse than the old .30-30 does. Have never used any "stout" bullets like TSX or partitions in the .22 CF's either. Just those dreaded "varmint bullets" that are so woefully inadequate for the job. Mostly I've just stuck with the 55 gr. Hornady sp for years and they always get the job done expeditiously. I have used others in the past and did try the 65 gr. Sierra but can't say that it worked one bit better and maybe not as well.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I referenced the 55 grain Gameking compared to the 100 and the 60 grain Partition compared to the 95. All kill deer about the same.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!