Originally Posted by ihookem
I've read well over 1,000 posts on the .22cal. for deer. I disregard the hunters that would never do it and listen to the ones and their pictures of the ones who do it. I came to realize that the bullet does something to the vitals of the animals that does not do what my .270 Win. ever did. I just plain makes the vitals a blood bath. I never uses a 22 cal. for deer. However, I have seen a difference when I went from my .270 WIn. to my .243 WIn. The .243 Win. is much the same.. Last year I made my very worst shot on a deer. Still can't believe I dropped it right there ,, flopped around some and died. Bullet went in just north of the guts and under the tenderloins.. Nothing but blood in the cavity. A 100 gr. Rem. coreloc with 40.5 gr. IMR 4350. Not exactly a hot load , 25 yd. shot. I am sure a " marginal shot" is actually more effective with a 22 or 24 cal. than a bigger cal.. A .270 Win. /130/150 gr. is more suited for elk, bear and moose. If a .270Win/ 150 gr. is suitable for moose and elk, then a 223Rem is suitable for deer. I am interested in 223 Rem . cause the day may come when powder , bullets and cases may be much more expensive . IMR is $65 lb.. and many components are still hard to find, but the 223 Rem. is still all over. A light .223Rem, for Wis. marsh hunting should be a very good combo with 50yd . shots max. No wind drift to worry about neither.
The right 130 in that 270 kills deer as fast as greased lightning.

Load a 130 Sierra Gameking up at max velocity and schitt dies quick, fast and in a hurry.

No pics because those were the days before I had a cell phone but good sized exits were an understatement.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!