Originally Posted by ihookem
I've seen that too, and I have also seen them run off with good shots.. In my experience . A .270Win. knocks them down faster and they stay down when through the shoulders, when they run a bit with the . 243 Win... However, I have had deer run 100 yards a bunch of times with a lung shot.. The .243 Win. has put them down in 50' every time regardless of there they were hit... It could be just coinsedence ,, but it is my experience . Also, I am not saying the .270 Win is not as good , I am saying the .243 Win is as good ,, for deer anyway and I am sure the .223 Rem. is as good, and kills a fast as anything. it's all in the bullet. We can made a 22 cal. bullet blow up on a gopher , or make them go through metal.. Caliber makes no difference .
I had one run 80-100 yards after a broadside double lung with a .243 just last season. No blood on the ground. Cover so thick you had to push your way through. Had to double back and try a different route to get through several times and crawl through some spots on hands and knees. Couldn't see it till I was 5 feet away. Could have been tough to find if there weren't snow. As it was I came out of there covered with burrs and ticks. Picked 7 of the little varmints off me on the way home. Spent two hours the next day picking the burrs out of my coat and pants. Lost my favorite hat somewhere in there.