Originally Posted by DonFischer
Originally Posted by Pinnah
For those who hunt with .224 caliber bullets, based on your experiences, would you be confident taking a 200 lb deer on a quartering shot?

If so, with what sort of bullet and at what impact velocity?

Good question! Me, depends on how well I shoot the rifle! A 200# deer in any angle shot can be killed instantly with a 22 cal center fire cartridge. Just depends on where you place the bullet your using! Where the catch comes in is say a 22-250 with a 50gr bullet shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yds from a bench rest is fine but move to even 200 yds and a field position and suddenly that 22-250 becomes a different animal! As for impact velocity, I wonder how much velocity is required to penetrate the brain of a deer? or how about the neck and break the spine. Velocity would not be the problem I think but rather placement. Bullet placement will make up for some velocity loss but velocity will not make up for poor placement for the bullet your using!
The question was about quartering deer so one is pretty safe assuming he is talking about getting to the vitals via breaking shoulders or coming up from the back of the ribs on quartering away.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!