Bob, I don't have to declare serial numbers just yet, so I'm not quite fully decided. The 338 and the 416 are ready to go, so if I get pressed for time or else if I ultimately give in to common-sense (because my hunting partner's also taking a 338/416 combination), I'll go with my original plan.

Anytime a 270 Win. thread comes up, someone gets a bit cross, and I'm not quite sure why......

Back when I was a kid, I pledged to someday take a 270/375 combo to Africa, and it's a pledge that I intend to fulfill. Additionally, I've always wanted to hunt Cape buffalo with a 375 H&H, and since I haven't hunted Africa with my 375 H&H for the last 8 years, this might be a good year to dust it off and make it happen.

Quite honestly, I think that the 338/416 combo makes more sense for a number of reasons and would be more effective for all-around use. But I've used those rifles on safari before, nostalgia (and an old dream) is calling hard this time around, and to this day I've not used my sentimental old favorite cartridge, the 270 Win., in Africa at all.

I get weary of recoil as well, and every time JB, Dogzapper, or someone else starts talking about using the 30-06, 7x57, 308, or 270 in Africa for plainsgame, it gets increasingly easy for me to warm up to the idea.

The last time I had my 416 out at the range, I came home with a headache, but the last time I had the 375 out, it was like a walk in the park. I'm past the point of ever wanting a 458 Lott or some such howitzer for any sort of hunting........ crazy

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen