That's not dumb thinking at all.

I know this much, and that's the fact that whatever I've whacked in the way of plaisngame with a 300 Win. Mag., 375 H&H, or a 338 Win. Mag. has stayed whacked, most of the time going down right there, without complication.

At the end of the day, I may very well take my 338 and my 416 for this safari. For one thing, my hunting partner is taking those same calibers, so we'll have mutual ammo to fall back one, which proved to be very important once before. Besides that, my 416 Rem. Mag. has proven itself as a totally great Cape buffalo rifle, as has the North Fork ammo I've got loaded for it, and my 338 Win. Mag. loaded with Swift A-frames has work perfectly and decisively on all manner of plainsgame, thru eland.

Ultimately, I have to decide if I'm going to try to make this some expensive exercise in nostalgia (which is rather stupid, when you think about it), or if I'm going to go with proven rifles of greater power, plus logistical common-sense.

It's possible that I'll save the 270 and 375 for the next time I go over and take my wife, which is sort of how I'm leaning right now.........

AD