Originally Posted by rob p
I bought a .270 Rem Mountain Rifle from their custom shop in 2000. I brought it to North Carolina and shot two deer with it. Text book, high in the shoulder 2/3 of the way up the front leg. Both deer ran farther than they should have. They went about 200 yards. When I recovered the deer, the whole front end of both was bloodshot. Tons of coagulated blood in the leg joints, the deer looked like they couldn't possibly get far but they went a long way. I went back to the .300 Win and watched them drop. Now I stick to it. I was not at all happy with the .270.

If you are not getting good results for NC deer with a 270 and had to switch to a 300, there's something wrong there. Maybe you are using a tougher bullet with the 300 than the 270, but then again I find it a bit excessive to use a 300 on southern whitetail. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”