I agree.

I've just never had a problem with the 270 Win. for the type of game it was intended for, which is deer, black bear, sheep, goat, and antelope-size stuff, especially in open country, and that's what Winchester designed it to be from the outset.

All of the guys I know who have used it extensively over the years love it, have learned how to properly load for it, and they've always had good kills with it. Of course they're mostly all good riflemen, and they know how to place their shots, plus they use good bullets.

The guys who seem to hate it usually have the least experience with it, and they often have no experience with it at all. Or else for political reason (Keith-style) they'll proclaim to hate it just to get at someone else they dislike who happens to like the 270.

I agree with my friend John55, though, that the 30-06 would probably be a better light rifle for all-around use in Africa than the 270 Win. Even Jack O'Connor said as much himself when he stated that the 30-06 was "the most useful light rifle possible" to take on safari.

AD