Originally Posted by rob p
I bought a .270 Rem Mountain Rifle from their custom shop in 2000. I brought it to North Carolina and shot two deer with it. Text book, high in the shoulder 2/3 of the way up the front leg. Both deer ran farther than they should have. They went about 200 yards. When I recovered the deer, the whole front end of both was bloodshot. Tons of coagulated blood in the leg joints, the deer looked like they couldn't possibly get far but they went a long way. I went back to the .300 Win and watched them drop. Now I stick to it. I was not at all happy with the .270.

First let me point out that I have taken a pile of deer with good results with the 270. But I have observed deer hit very well with a 270(and 280,7x57,308,30-06)go 200 yards or so into the thick stuff.

I have taken a couple dozen whitetails with a 300 win mag. Only one went anywhere,he made it about 25 steps. I think there may be a place for an elk round like the 300 on deer in the south,particularly when you want them dead right there,right now.

Shot placement trumps everything,but lung shot deer do seem to stop quicker when hit with a 300 mag with the proper bullet.

Just my view,

Britt