Mark, taking a familiar rifle like your G33/40 270 is a totally smart idea, and most of the plainsgame animals you'll hunt will be between the size of a Coues deer and a spike bull elk anyway. The 375 can take care of all the rest in a walk.

Personally, I think the truly heavy big-bores have been totally over-prescribed and I have serious doubts about the ability of most hunters to shoot them well. Writing a check is one thing, but using what you paid for is often somehting else altogether!

I can do good work with a 416 Rem. and a 458 Win., but I loath shooting the bigger 458s, etc.......

I've had the chance to do some shooting with various doubles over the years, and in addition to being big, heavy, awkward, and foreign to this Oregon elk hunter who was raised on seemly bolt-guns, they kicked like heck. I worked with a 577 NE once that was just totally out of bounds, and if I would lie to myself just long enough to get to the point of buying one of my own to hunt with, I strongly suspect that I'd have a greater chance of getting into trouble than I would with a lesser cartridge like the humble 375 H&H....... crazy

AD