Bob, that was on my first safari, and I had a good local riflesmith rebuild and modify a Model 70 Super Express 458 Win. Mag., and he generally did a very good job with it. It shot well, it fed reliably, the floorpate latch spring was replaced with a very stiff unit so that the floorplate wouldn't pop open and dump cartridges on the ground at High Noon, plus it was given quality open sights, etc, etc.

In Tanzania, I used that 458 on one zebra, and one Cape buffalo. We also stalked, on dry ground (the only way I'll do it), a gigantic, scarred up old bull hippo, and I shot him with that 458 a couple of times, which put him down for keeps. I worked the bolt hard and fast from the shoulder for a reload - and that 458 went off!

My PH as stunned, and since the hippo was dead, we took some time to figure out what was wrong with my rifle. We got TWO MORE slam-fires out of it, and it became clear that my local riflesmith had adjusted the trigger entirely too light for the sort of hunting I had in mind for that rifle. I didn't have tools in camp to fix it myself, so my PH advised retiring it for the duration of the safari.

Triggers that are perfect for killing paper back home are not what you need in a dangerous game rifle, and ALL RIFLES that are destined for safari use simply MUST be tested in every possible way for feeding function, slam-fires, etc..........

AD