Handwerk, I cannot imagine were you were that locals considered a 30/06 under gunned. It's the standard in Southern Africa. several of the camp loaner rifles are 30/06's and have accounted for hundreds of animals with flawless performance. Many even shot with cup and core 180 grain bullets. However over the last 15 years the first premium bullets used have been Partitions,and we have moved up from there using all brands of Premium bullets.

Outside of dangerous game I have never head any local African PH criticize the 30/06, not once.
----------------------------------------------
To the others regarding the 375HH and larger.
Several years ago I wrote a comment that the 375HH was as much recoil as most folks could comfortably handle. For the practice needed to be a great shot with a dangerous game level cartridge.

The most typical comment back was "if you could train yourself to handle a 375HH then the 416 is no problem" (yeah right)

My opionion of those folks was they they were not shooting in the same numbers I was. There is a certain recoil difference that eliminates the 416 from the same recoil catagory. If you shoot one of these enough to be good with it..........really good and accurate, it will begin to stomp you. This same level of shooting and recoil does not occur with the 375HH before you are a comfortable shot with it. At least for most folks.

Today with the TSX the 375HH is more lethal they ever and as flat shooting as the 30/06. With the Swift Aframes this cartridge makes short work of any thin skinned game with a level of confidence that nothing smaller can match, and few larger can match either! 270 grain bullets at 2800fps are a serious flat shooting force.

The 375HH remains the greatest level of killing power you can have for the investment you make in recoil.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)