I can sympathize with the original poster because anyone who has spent the time and money messing around with the custom guntrade will eventually run into this sort of thing, in one way or another.

First and foremost,the fact that he "changed his mind" in going from a 7 RM to 375 H&H has absolutely NOTHING to do with the entire issue;it is, as we say in the law a "red herring",or an issue the other side to an argument tries to make important but which is, in fact, immaterial.This is akin to blaming victims for the "crime" imposed on them. The man paid for a 375;he should get what he paid for.To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Also, I don't blame him for cancelling the 270 order;after seeing how poorly the 375 was working,a person would be crazy to order another rifle built on the same action.That's like saying "....Hit me again..." I give custom makers one crack;if they don't get it right the first time, I never use them again.

Second,some "blame" should be attributed to the custom smith for not making certain that the rifle functions;OTOH,it is not the custom smiths job to serve as a QC man for Montana.It is Montana's job to see that the parts they provide for the Montana action are correct,fit the action properly,and perform their intended function.It is also not the custom smiths job to see to it that Montana provideed the right parts for the action,and that those parts "work" as intended.If Montana advertises and peddles a CRF then they should "work" when they leave the factory.If they do not,then Montana is selling an action that is not "fit" for a particular purpose and fails to meet commonly accepted legal standards of warranty as recognized in numerous jurisdictions. If they(Montana) are not paying attention to this, it is their fault,and should not be placed on the custom smith.

To suggest that the custom smith is entirely to blame, and that Montana is somehow exonerated for providing incorrect or ill-fitting parts that are soft,non-functional,and of improper design for the intended caliber,is the most convoluted thought process I have read on this thread so far.

All of the above having been said the REALITY is that a Montana action requires "tweaking" because as they come from Montana they are not quite up to par.You could say this for a M70 Classic,for example, as well,since it's possible to spend a tidy chunk of cash to get Mark Penrod or D'Arcy Echols to make them "right",so Montana's are not unique in this regard.One of the smiths I do business with has built quite a few rifles on Montana's, and he says they must be gone over,squared up,and checked for functioning.He routinely replaces the firing pin spring in them,telling me that the factory version is a bit "weak",as one example.The Montana actions on the Serengeti rifles owned by Britt and Mule Deer are not "factory original",either,as I have read that Serengeti employs a guy full time to make the Montana actions "right".This is figured in the cost of a Serengeti which I understand has a base price of about $5000(?).So, you can end up with a good rifle on a Montana action,but they do have to be gone over.

I have seen the Montana barrels chucked up in a lathe,and compared to a Kreiger.You could not run fast enough to give me a Montana barrel.I don't care how yours may shoot;I would not waste the time and money having one installed.It costs the same in time and labor to have a Kreiger or Hart installed as it does a Montana;I'd just as soon stick with the barrel having a great reputation for accuracy.

It is pretty apparent that the original poster took a hosing on this one,notwithstanding some of the ridiculous arguments I have seen posted here to the effect that he is somehow to "blame"for paying his money and failing to get a perfectly functional rifle.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/19/08.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.