Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can sympathize with the original poster because anyone who has spent the time and money messing around with the custom guntrade will eventually run into this sort of thing, in one way or another.

No truer words have been said. Have experienced it myself and it is never fun when it happens to you.

First and foremost,the fact that he "changed his mind" in going from a 7 RM to 375 H&H has absolutely NOTHING to do with the entire issue;it is, as we say in the law a "red herring",or an issue the other side to an argument tries to make important but which is, in fact, immaterial.This is akin to blaming victims for the "crime" imposed on them. The man paid for a 375;he should get what he paid for.To suggest otherwise is absurd.

This argument of yours I cannot understand? So if you agree to buy a Ford V6 car and park it in a garage so it is not used and 10 months later after an overseas trip change your mind and think you need more power and want a Ford V8. That's OK and the supplier should go ahead and replace the engine for nothing. That is your logic? I think some credit should be given to MRC for agreeing to help 7mmrem. It's unfortunate that it did not work out but then go back to your first point and remind yourself what you have let yourself in for.

Second,some "blame" should be attributed to the custom smith for not making certain that the rifle functions;OTOH,it is not the custom smiths job to serve as a QC man for Montana.It is Montana's job to see that the parts they provide for the Montana action are correct,fit the action properly,and perform their intended function.It is also not the custom smiths job to see to it that Montana provideed the right parts for the action,and that those parts "work" as intended.If Montana advertises and peddles a CRF then they should "work" when they leave the factory.If they do not,then Montana is selling an action that is not "fit" for a particular purpose and fails to meet commonly accepted legal standards of warranty as recognized in numerous jurisdictions. If they(Montana) are not paying attention to this, it is their fault,and should not be placed on the custom smith.

In general I agree with you BobinNH. However, it is absolutely the responsibility of the gunsmith to protect his client 7mmrem. What if the action had faults that could have caused injury to the client? It is irresponsible not to at least do some check BEFORE he started work & report to his client any defects found. The fact that it was in a calibre that would indicate possible use as a DGR makes it even more irresponsible on the gunsmith's part not to check function.

To suggest that the custom smith is entirely to blame, and that Montana is somehow exonerated for providing incorrect or ill-fitting parts that are soft,non-functional,and of improper design for the intended caliber,is the most convoluted thought process I have read on this thread so far.

Please point to where in my post(s) I suggested the custom smith is entirely to blame. My point to 7mmrem has been above all to be fair. Nowhere has 7mmrem acknowledged that his smith could be at fault. So with the heading on his post of "Buyer Beware" to be fair 7mmrem should name & shame his custom smith as well. As you have said he is partly to blame but of course not entirely.

All of the above having been said the REALITY is that a Montana action requires "tweaking" because as they come from Montana they are not quite up to par.One of the smiths I do business with has built quite a few rifles on them and he says they must be gone over,squared up,and checked for functioning.He routinely replaces the firing pin spring in them,telling me that the factory version is a bit "weak",as one example.The Montana actions on the Serengeti rifles owned by Britt and Mule Deer are not "factory original",either,as I have read that Serengeti employs a guy full time to make the Montana actions "right".This is figured in the cost of a Serengeti which I understand has a base price of about $5000(?).So, you can end up with a good rifle on a Montana action,but they do have to be gone over.

There was plenty of information on this site from years ago & from Jack Belk on Accurate Reloading that the MRC action was wonderful in concept but was short changed in the manufacturing. However, it is acknowledged that with a competent gunsmith it can be made into the basis of a fine custom gun. What's the cost of an MRC action $450-$500 these days? In most cases given a competent smith they can be made to work and be functional. Be realistic and honest. Its the low price that sucks us in. It ain't going to be a Dakota, nor an Empire straight off the production line.

I have seen the Montana barrels chucked up in a lathe,and compared to a Kreiger.You could not run fast enough to give me a Montana barrel.I don't care how yours may shoot;I would not waste the time and money having one installed.

I agree with you but not because I saw it chucked up in a lathe but because I saw the bore with a Hawkeye borescope. Bullshit it was hand lapped! Based on my personal experience I would never use their barrels again but plenty here are very happy with theirs including our Mule Deer. Mine was a CM barrel if that made any difference but really its should not. Those that are happy with their barrels appear to have specified stainless. But to me not worth the risk.

It is pretty apparent that the original poster took a hosing on this one,notwithstanding some of the ridiculous arguments I have seen posted here to the effect that he is somehow to "blame"for paying his money and failing to get a perfectly functional rifle.

Whether the original poster is to "blame" is not the issue. I believe if you want to be treated fairly then you should treat others the same way. I don't believe that has happened in this case. I don't believe that he has or wants to acknowledge that his changes of mind could have caused some administrative headaces at MRC. If he has been charged 2x for the one action and I presume the only way they can charge 2x without his consent is by credit card. Right? Call the credit card company & refute the charge. Simple. Why not do that instead of spitting the dummy on this forum.

What he said about using this post as a "tool" just sounds suspicious to me. The feed issues could be fixed by any competent gunsmith. The defective part could have been swapped. And he could have stopped getting charged 2x by calling his credit card company. Perhaps there is a hidden agenda here?

Regards
JohnT