Originally Posted by jorgeI
I just received a Williams peep but it looks like crap on my rifle. I might consider a shallow "V" express sight instead of the buckhorn it has now. jorge

Jorge,

Just passing this thought along:

After discussing the idea with Todd (my gunsmith), I'm considering having him simply hand file the factory buckhorn rear sight blade down to an express sight contour. File straight across the top of the blade until it's level with the sight notch (or thereabout). Might also need to open up the sight notch in order to match the size of a replacement white bead up front. Might make the rear sight notch a "V" like an express sight. Still kicking around ideas.

This approach has appeal to me as it keeps the basic rear sight assembly, making it look more period correct and authentic for the rifle, while getting rid of the buckhorn sight's "horns" and giving a better sight picture.

I got this idea after looking at one of the original photos of Osa Johnson that I purchased. I did a high-resolution scan (1200 dpi) of the photo and them zoomed in on the rear sight of her rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.