Shargpsguy: Not meaning to Hijack the .405 thread but I'm not "thin skinned" fire away. How could I be while posting on a BB?
I own and have owned several 45-70 in single shots, lever and bolt actions my favorite being a Marlin 1895LTD SS followed closely by an 1874 Sharps. I have spent tons of cash trying to make the 45-70 into something it is not finally just buying a .458WM. I do also own a 'soli Quigley that I punched out to 45-120 ( more recoil than worth though very accurate).
My favorite load for the 45-70 is 52.0 gr IMR 3031/400gr hard cast (my own)/Fed. 215 primer it is accurate in every rifle I own. In the 45-120 I shoot BP with the same bullet an it is very accurate out to 1000 yds using a Lyman front globe with inserts.
With the above being written I still stand pat on my statement neither the 45-70 nor the .405 are really worth much for truely dangerous game. Certainly the bison has been slain with both as too the occasional brownie but as a rule neither was very adept at doing so back in the day.