Originally Posted by Bloodline
I can see no reason to push any weight bullet in the .405 Win to 2200fps, it simply is not needed. The .405 is much less of a round than the old .45-70 which isn't much to begin with anyway. The .405 loaded at moderate speeds will suffice as a small bear and marginal elk size animal round but it will never be more than that. Even "Old Bully" himself admited to it not being much of a DG round.

The original 405 loading was a 300gr@ 2200 fps and that is more than sufficient to make it a whole lot more than a "marginal" elk round. As to TR's opinion of the round, I beg to differ and so does he. Ih his book "African Game Trails" he waxes eloquently about the round's efficacy on lion a definite member of the DG crowd. What he said was the bigger British Express round he used a 500/465 was better for elephant but suffice to say both he and Kermit used the 405 to take elephant and rhino. Also there is a real good book about a Brit hunter in India in the colomial service who used a 405 with great results on tigers. With today's premium like the TSX the 405 is a great round. I for one plan to use it on Cape Buffalo. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”