I have been involved in scouts for around 18 years, am an Eagle scout and have continued involvement since as a leader. Due to our current employment situation, my wife and I will be spending part of this summer working at a scout camp in central Oregon. As part of getting prepared for getting the training we need to work at camp we both had to go through the BSA Youth protection training, which has several key points that include: no 1 on 1 contact, two deep leadership, separate accommodations for youth and adults, as well as female youth and adults for those involved in Venturing BSA which is a co-ed program for those who are 14-20 years old. With Venturing, if there are female scouts going on an outing, there MUST also be a female leader along on the activity.

The BSA has done a fairly good job at trying to protect our youth from predators, as well as protect the adult leaders from false accusations through their youth protection training.

this link is an info page put out by the scouts
http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx

I will also say that I doubt that the BSA will fold to this pressure, if for no other reason, simply because, they realize that if they do fold, there will be many people who will either leave the organization, or stop supporting it. I will also say that I will be one of those.