Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
This thread has convinced me of how retarded BSA is, along with people here who I thought were sane.

A parent can't camp with their own kid, who can't take a leak by himself....but they'll consider letting homosexuals lead the organization.

Wow.

setting aside the homosexual stand, no one has said a parent can't camp with their kid. Provided they take the appropriate youth protection training, (again, at least within our troop - other troops may relax that rule) parents are welcome to camp. We aren't protecting your child from you, we are protecting the 64 other boys in our troop from you or any other adult regardless of sexual preference, politics, religion., etc - by making sure you/they understand the guidelines of adult/scout interaction.

At first I didn't understand those rules either , but once you are put in a situation where you have 30 boys camping on a trip , you do.

My personal take is, if someone is so intent on working with boys (and has good intentions) then your sexual orientation should never come up for discussion. If you make your sexual orientation an issue, your focus isn't about helping boys to begin with.

In a perfect world, I should be able to camp with any scout leader and never know he was gay, catholic, protestant , liberal or conservative. We are there as leaders to teach the principles of scouting to the boys, not our own.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/09/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings