Got out about 9:30 am, and hit a new woods. Only saw one squirrel by 11 am., so moved to another woods. By then, the sun had come out, and the wind was nil. Hadn't any more than got into the woods, when a squirrel jumped up on the side of a tree. I took a hasty shot with the 10/22 and missed. Went on down through the woods, and caught one feeding on the ground at about 35 yds. Tried a freehand shot, and thought I'd missed. Eased down there and was kinda looking around, when i caught a glimpse of a tail, on the side of a tree about 20 ft. away. I threw a stick on the other side of the tree, and the squirrel hit the ground running. He went about 20 yds. and jumped up on the side of a tree. THIS time I didn't miss! grin

[Linked Image]

Went on, and saw another squirrel, but couldn't get close. Was heading back to the truck, hunting as I went. Saw something off to my left, and just stood there. Five very nice does were feeding and just meandering through the woods. Today was the last day of our firearms deer season. I didn't care, there's a muzzleloader season coming up in another week. If the boy comes up, we'll give it a try then. I'm about to the point where I won't hunt them anymore, by myself, because I can't hardly handle them. Dang sight easier to haul that squirrel back to the truck. Got there and cleaned it, when I took off, the truck thermometer said 47 degrees. The most beautiful day we've had in over two weeks.

maddog