I've gone both directions from the centre -- the centre being the 30-06/303 British. I stepped up to a 300 Magnum first, and then a 45-70, and then a 405Win. Loved the way they shot. Then I returned to a 6.5 Swede, and I really like that one. I like the way it shoots, and I love the way that it kills regardless of the smaller numbers it generates. I find myself shooting the 45-70 lots with small charges of faster burning powders like AA5744 and Trail Boss for "plinking" (don't knock it till you try it wink )

My 300 Mag is a heavy weight at 11+ pounds, but easy to shoot. Tougher to carry as I get older. Most times, the 30-06 (standard weight) gets the nod for moose, and the 6.5 Swede gets the nod for deer. (T3 Tikka)

I like the monometal bullets (TSX) as they work well for me in the '06 and 300. Just working up a load for 120 and 130 TSX in the Swede. Expecting great things.

Even though I am not overly sensitive to recoil, I find I shoot the lighter recoiling rifles more the older I get. The 405 has pretty stout recoil even in a 9 pound rifle with my typical nose bleed rounds, so I have even backed them down a bit as well. I hope to try that one on moose this season.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith