Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm assuming this is another shot at me...

I've been way up and down the cartridge scale. I also have family out west and am well aware of the smaller chamberings being used for years, both there and here.

I've not traveled to hunt a bunch. Most of my hunting is around home, but I've been on a few trips.

No. I wouldn't waste my time doing that.

No one said that the Internet does not influence people;you can get information from various sources.Some is reliable and some is not.

The central theme here seems to be whether there is a current trend to smaller calibers....I see it in target shooting.But it's nothing new in BG hunting and has been going on for years.

Exactly.

The same thing goes with long range hunting. While the availability of cheap, accurate laser range finders certainly helped things along, it is by no means a new sport. I was just reading an article from around 1970 on the 6.5-300 Weatherby, where the author lamented the poor long range bullet choices available for the round, which tended to blow up on game due to the high velocity.

Funny how so much of this shooting game is in no way new. I suspect if one traveled back in time to Wimbledon, circa 1875, much of what shooters discuss would vary little from the competitive range conversations of today.

I find the historical aspect and connection to the past in shooting to be quite interesting.