Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
99, I have shot several antelope with 24's and 25's that were hit in the lungs.. I remember one doe drinking at a little pond.. She was quiet, I put a 100 grain Core loke through both lungs.. She bolted and ran across the prairie for about 200-250 yards.. She was dead on her feet, it was easy to follow the path she took, but there was little if any blood the first hundred yards... Then a few drops.. As I remember, she never did bleed very much.. Now because she was in sight the whole time, it was not a problem.. But a friend and I were hunting and she shot a buck with the .243 about the same place.. He was standing on a small hill.. At the shot, he ran over the hill out of sight.. It was late in the evening, with little blood to follow they looked til dark.. No antelope.. Next morning they found what the coyotes had left.. It was a good shot, but not enough blood for a good trail.. Placement is important, but what you put there is also important.. The rest is just mouth..

You had a bullet failure there, not a cartridge failure.

I've seen the same darned thing happen with '06s, 7mm Mags, and a bunch of other rounds. If you're shooting crappy bullets, it doesn't really matter what you use. If you want DRT performance, shoot for bone. JFC people, this isn't that complicated.