I know what you mean about the .243win versus the 30-06, as I've used both. I've often said that I'd probably have no problems hunting smaller chamberings and softer bullets if my hunting areas were open. Blood trails aren't as important and you can often see the animal fall after a death-run. Here where I hunt, there are a few open areas here and there, such as pastures or pipeline ROW's, but thick cover is generally nearby. I've been hunting here for 25 years and have seen one deer make a typical 30-40yd death run that didn't wind up in cover. It was in the middle of a large pasture.

I've killed deer with .22 and 6mm centerfires and gotten mostly decent results, but I know that their limitations regarding typical blood trails on non-CNS or non-shoulder shots will likely make my tracking job harder than say a 270win, 7mm-08, or 30-06. Our bucks aren't usually out in open areas and don't give us lots of time for a good shot presentation. You have to take what is offered and take it quickly. The slightly larger chamberings offer a bit better odds of a quick/easy retrieval as compared to the little rifles. Bear in mind, this is "on average". I've seen .22cal TSX bullets leave a lovely blood trail and I've seen 7mm softpoints leave me very little to go by. Day in, day out, the .27cal to .30cal offerings still have an advantage for my hunting style in my area. That being said, I still like the smaller chamberings and don't mind hunting in such a "handicapped" manner when the mood strikes me....... (grin)

Now with even more aplomb