Yes, minute of a football at 50 if you do your part. Just like the .45 Colt, you need to seek out the premium factory loads (or reload) if you want to tap the true potential of the 10mm. Underwoods offers a good selection with real ballistics printed on the package, and federal just entered the full-power 10mm game. Far from dying, it seems it is seeing a resurgence.

From a ballistic perspective, a hot loaded .45 Colt trumps the 10mm but that's not really the point. A .454 trumps the .45 Colt and no one disparages the Colt because of it. The 10mm full power 10mm slots itself between the .357 mag. and the .41 mag. Nothing to sneeze at for sure, and it can nip the heels of factory loads .41 mag. out of a short barrel. The .41 is more powerful, but it is typically listed out of a longer barrel. A 3" .41 loses a lot of steam over a factory 6" test barrel. In any event, there are two great things about the 10mm.

1. You can carry an auto that is well suited for self defense. When carrying in many outdoor areas (anywhere but grizzly country) the 10mm has the muscle to get the job done, and self defense may be more important than animal defense.

2. Just like the .357 mag., you can use it with loads of varying power levels. You can shoot .40 S&W power loads at the range and load with full power 10mm for the woods. My Glock digests both without any drama whatsoever.

Don't pick it because it is better than what you have, pick it because you want to hunt or carry an auto. If you can't tell, I am totally sold on the 10mm for most uses. I feel comfortable and confident in a full power 10mm for woods and self defense use.