Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by safariman
WOW! I just read Rathcoombe's FULL terminal effects bullets report! What an AMAZING piece of work! Easily, far and away, the most complete and best testing of any bullet and wounding effect report I have ever seen, and I have read a bunch of them.

Marine HAwk,

This particualr article or series of tests need to be put into a separate thread in the hunting forums here. IF you do not cite and paste it in those, may I? (with a nod and note of appreciation/acknowledgement to you for originally bringing this to my attention in this forum) sir?

safariman, It's not my stuff. I just linked it. Go ahead. It is very interesting to me because it explains and discounts a lot of theories. I learned a lot from it in an earlier version years ago. Notice the highest penetration from large meplat, moderate velocity bullets; but you can't get that at 300+ yds, so you need things like a .340 Wby with a 225gr TTSX fired at 3,160fps for that. But, for short, medium, range if one can do his part, a fat, large caliber meplat will kill/penetrate the best.

If you hit a water-based object (an animal) ant moderate+ velocity with a flat-faced bullet, as it penetrates, the tissue must spew sideways to exit the path of the flat-nosed bullet, which causes additional lateral damage. That's why big-bore, flat-nosed rounds are so deadly at shorter range.

Note, IMP the data shows why large caliber flat-nosed HC bullet do so superbly ad moderate ranges, but suggests that pointed high-velocity rifle bullets might be better (obviously) when shooting at long range. E.g., military snipers use long barreled rifles (rather than handguns) for long shot kills for a reason.

I knew that the study links were not your original material, but very, very few folks ever even LOOK or try to understand such things like a few of us rifle nuts do. My first wife once picked up a book that I had been reading in for a couple of months and looked up at me with a shocked expression exclaiming "This whole book is full of nothing but NUMBERS! How can ANYONE look at abook of only numbers for hours at a time, for months on end!" crazy grin

RE your comment about a 225gr TTSX at 3160fps. That is my "gonna kill something today" load and rifle. And yeah, near OR far, it works really well.

If I can't kill it with my 10mm (had to work that into this reply to keep in spirit with the thread smile ) that 340 is the rifle I reach for. Unless the 416 is Really needed, or I have not shot anything with it in a long while. Did you know that a 350gr TTSX at 2750fps works really well on Tennessee hogs? Who coulda predicted that!? <G> Shot one on that trip with my 10mm at close range, and IT worked too. I wonder which theory was at play here? cool

Last edited by safariman; 04/24/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500