Marine Hawk, wow you did it again! In two posts you have, IMO, shed more light than many piles of posts by other members with armchair or Monday Morning Quarterback ameteur theorists who post this theory or that one and call it proven science or fact.

You are 1000% correct, sir that when any number of circumstance change, almost any of the popular theories can be found wanting.

This is why so many of my hunting rifles are of large diameter, and shoot deep penetrating bullets FAST. IF the Hydraulic overload don't get it done, the big deep hole through parts neccesary for the continuation of life and/or motation certainly will.

Thusly, my rifles for African and Alaskan XXL sized game have been my hot loaded (to roughly equal the mighty 416 WBY) 416 Rigby, my wildcat 340 Tyrannosaur that pushes a 225gr TTSX at 3100fps and as my smallest bore used there a 300 RUM sending 180gr TTSX bullets out at 3200fps. The 300 RUM and 340 T both knocked the wind right out of the sails on game as big and tough as Eland and Zebra, not to mention Kudu and the smaller plains game animals and were fast and flat shooting enough, plus accurate enough as well as flat shooting, for the "Poodleopes" as I call them, i.e. the Springbok, Klipspringer, etc.

I am saving several of the studies that you have cited to my 'favorites' list for future reference. I remember well Craig Boddington's article debunking the knock out blow idea of the big bores and his citing the 40-41 cals as being better and more reliable penetrators. I used to be something of an Elephant hunter, but even if my health returns, I fear that the hunting of these great beasts is going to be quickly out of range for all but the wealthiest of hunters. I am sure glad I went and did what I did, when I had the chance.

Thanks again for a couple of terrific posts!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500