I shoot hogs regularly with a suppressed .44 mag, using 300 - 335gr either "solid" Barnes bullets or Hard Cast at under 1100 fps. Penetration is amazing, kills are quick and sure - BUT the ranges are 75 yards or less. I have shot a large sow at 130 yards with a .300 Win Mag and 130gr Barnes TTSX that went down just as fast, with more tissue damage. The difference is the range a pistol is effective at versus a rifle of this type. Had I been able to hit the hog at 130 yards with my suppressed .44, I think the big hard cast would have penetrated, because once they start moving they slow down, but keep moving - if that makes any sense? The damage in that case, however, would not have been as much as the .300 Win Mag. Hand guns are short range weapons, with short barrels. Rifles can be long range weapons, with much longer barrels and telescopic sights. Different tools for different uses, but each can well be "better" for the use it was designed for than the other.

I consider the 10mm to be a high velocity, lower bullet weight "weapon", almost like a rifle hen compared to a larger caliber, slower velocity handgun - longer effective range, probably not as good as a heavier, slower bullet up closer. (see, Mark? I got in something about 10mm.