I have told this story before. One day checking fences I came up on a mamma hog (Eurasia) and her piglets. She saw me. She bluffed once. I pulled out my 1911. She then charged me from 35-40 yards away. I was able to hit her twice in the head and one near miss in her shoulder. I had to jump out of the way as she ran right through where I was standing. While she was turning to come back to me, she fell and went down. If I had not jumped, she would have got me. I then finished her off with a brain shot. She was full of adrenaline because of her piglets. The two shots that hit her in the head made a mess of her head, but she was still on the hoof running. I was shooting a 45 ACP with 230gr XTP's.

I started carrying my Colt Delta elite after that. We have a growing problem with these hogs on the farm. The 10mm probably would not have made a difference in this case. But who knows.

Now, here is what I did.
I carry a 1911 all the time on the farm. You can hop on a tractor, hop in a truck or four wheeler, chop wood or do anything you want and that 1911 is comfortable all day long. Even during duress, I do not "point and spray". But, I wanted to be able to shoot faster and harder. I was looking at the 460 Roland for a long time. After this incident, I went ahead on the project. The 460 uses a chambered compensator at high pressures. You can get off a shot accurately much faster. You are shooting well into the 41 magnum power with control of like shooting a 45 ACP. You have to try one to believe it. The 1 1/2" extra on the barrel has never caused a problem on the farm. That was my solution to help my current situation. I use Hardcast bullets for the penetration aspect. Like jwp475 and I have discussed, the jacketed bullets for the 45ACP are limited in the Super or the 460. They just are not built for those velocities. The 40 Bullets have thicker jackets, and hold up better in my experience. But I am sold on the comp for quick and accurate follow up shots. This is a wilderness self protection application, not a conceal carry one.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.