Big thanks for this link BSA - I will indeed try to get this front sight!

Thanks for the comments. Sorry I�ve been out of the loop with work, etc. I used basic �Premium� stripper one gets at the local hardware. The hard shiny finish the PO had used just bubbled right up and a small plastic scraper took most of it right off. The checkering was full of a dark brown paint-like material and I used an small old nylon gun brush (think toothbrush) and carefully scrubbed out the cuts. The wood grain seemed to have retained some original stain so I taped the checkering and did a minimal sanding job with 350 paper and small school eraser. I like the existing dings and scrapes - someone went to the trouble of putting that history there so why should I try to remove it? smile

After I rubbed a couple of oil coats I used an oil based pore filler just once. Now have about 9/10 coats of linseed (boiled) applied and at some point will switch to Lin-Speed to finish up. Not perfect but to my eye the stock is developing some character.

I�ve also carefully removed the small spots of bedding material that was used and found little holes drilled (I guess to get the material to stick to the wood). I�m going to make a few measurements and clean these areas bit more and try to bed the action even though I really don�t know what i�m doing. I�ll try to get a few more pictures up. I�m wondering if someone may have recut the checkering outline?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 05/28/14.