Nice thread, great craftsmanship, good advice, not so good advice, nice job overall. I didn't see this post until today. I saved all my replies for now.

1. I think it was a solid $750 purchase; folks may find steals but not everyday.

2. The stock was the biggest detractor. My initial thoughts on it were redo it and make a nice glass bedded shooter; you did that and very well! The Decelerator could NOT have been installed better! The previous owners did the stock mods/repairs/butchers/etc.

3. Don't buy a new Williams extractor. They are a great upgrade to the pressed metal extractors on the Classics, but are no better than an original pre 64 and would be un original. There are plenty of used extractors on eBay. I have a few and may part with one if we can come to a deal on your Lyman 6W.

4. You recouped a good deal of your investment with that Lyman 6W if you didn't pay too much for it; They are pricey!

5. I agree that the Monte Carlo comb, flip 16a or b, whichever is correct, and that Leupold make a nice hunting rifle. Find yourself a low comb stock with a steel buttplate to match up with that Lyman 48.

Randy Shuman, one of the contributors on Roger Rules books told me that Winchester did offer different front sight heights to get the guns zeroed(factory original installation). I have seen the gold bead Redfield front sights, that were on Supergrades in various heights. Lyman front sights were used on the very early guns.

The M70 came out predawn of optics for everyday use. Guys didn't fully trust optics until the mid 50's, hence the various detachable scope mounts. I think you should shop around for a vintage Lyman front sight of the proper height for your application. Find a vintage blank for that rear sight dovetail while you are at it. I think I would scope that gun up again and find a steel butt wearing low comb standard gun to wear that Lyman 48! I am serious, not joking, I would buy another gun to match that sight! The gun you have looks like a solid hunter!

Last edited by sbrmike; 04/05/15.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member