Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Gusb
...a large plug... that almost looks factory...

You're joking!

This is the first Model 70 I�ve owned (pre64 or otherwise) and I�m just fumbling along trying to learn and pickup what info I can. I�m well aware this big plug could have come from anywhere in the years following 1957, but the workmanship is of a much higher standard than the other �honest hunter� modifications I�ve found on the gun. I think the New Haven plant back in the day did not necessarily subscribe to the �disposable� attitudes we see everywhere today.

From the Roger Rule book:
On page 56 - �For the more serious problems, wood welding was used. The wood welder, using a piece of scrap wood that closely matched the damaged area, would cut, fit and glue it in place� Some stocks, too badly damaged or defective for repairs, were discarded before patching.�

And from page 152 - �Not only had the quality of the wood declined, but American black walnut as a species had become more and more scarce. It was therefore common for repairs to be made in order to avoid discarding a stock: these repairs were most prevalent after 1961. Photograph 6-12 shows a typical example��