Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Wow! I have a mil spec flip phone and it will not come close, I will charge my wifes smart phone and give it a try. Those are sharp gun photos! thanks WinPoor

Hey WinPoor,

I have 2 cameras, an older Canon 7D with a few "prime (read - no zoom)" lenses and a new iPhone 6.

BSA is correct, some of the previous photos were an iPhone 5s, the new iPhone 6 has an even better camera. The iPhone cameras can do amazing stuff (considering their size, etc.) but it's still all about setup and what you do with what you have. These shots of the Lyman 48 were the Canon with a low-end 50mm macro lens. The Winchester is sitting on the sling balanced on the edge of my desk. The camera is on a tripod just using the available light. IMHO - stay away from flash, unless you have a bunch of fancy external stuff (and know how to use it). Find a window with some nice light, etc.

Any decent point/shoot or entry-level SLR... Nikon, Canon, etc. is probably a good camera these days. There's a story about an encounter between Ernest Hemingway and Ansel Adams, Hemingway saying, "You take the most amazing pictures. What kind of camera do you use?" Adams reply, "You write the most amazing stories. What kind of typewriter do you use?"

Look forward to seeing all those Winchesters smile

Thanks,
Gus

Edit: One more point I think I made in an earlier post, the iPhone is a fixed aperture (f/2.2). This can be limiting. There are a few apps that will let the phone kinda act like a real camera on manual. Might make sense to grab an entry level Canon/Nikon with an economical macro lens and tripod if you�re really serious about results.

Last edited by Gusb; 10/10/14.