FWIIW about Weaver base and rings . . . One of the more famous .375 M70s in the world is the one owned for years by Finn Aagaard. I believe it is still in his family, and I hope it remains so. In every picture of it I have ever seen, it wears Weaver bases and ring. Finn did his share of minor gunsmithing on his rifles, adding cross bolts to the stock and other such things. I believe he fit a new M70 stock to that very rifle. I'd bet Mr. Aagaard was aware of other mounts, could get them if he wanted, and certainly had the ability to mount them. He USED his rifles, and he expected them to work.

One of my projects is a 9.3x62 on a commercial FN action from a Higgins M50. The rear scope mount holes are non-standard spacing (for Mauser) on some M50s, and this is the case with mine. This particular rifle will probably cause me to settle on Weaver style bases from Warne. Since I would like quick detach and return to zero, I am seriously considering the "ugly" Weaver rings as a tip of the hat to Mr. Aagaard. I know there are nicer looking rings that will also return to zero, but I am considering homage to a great hunter.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/06/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"