My first post. I�m looking at a Model 70 in 30-06. Got the serial number and it looks like the action was made in 1957. The bore looks good (to my untrained eye) and from what I can tell the lands seem somewhat sharp, etc. What do I make of the wear marks on the bolt, extractor (see closeup) - seem normal? I think I�ve seen other actions that look worn sort of like this? The stock has weird dark checkering (like it�s been messed with), refinished looking and an after market butt pad but I�m thinking the wood could still be original to the gun? Somebody gutted the wood around the barrel - to make it free floating I guess frown

The shop guy says the scope is a good one (Leupold) although I don�t really care about it much. I want to go back to original iron sights and maybe even add a peep at some point.

I thought I could buy it, clean it and take it to the range just the way it is to see how it shoots with the scope off the bench - just for a test. Then remove the scope and replace the iron sights (Lyman seems to still sell iron sights that are close to original for this year gun�). Strip the stock, try to determine how bad the checkering is and then maybe do a simple oil finish. Then find an original steel butt plate at some point, or just put a decent simple Pachmayr, etc. on. I don�t think the length (stock) has been messed with. Maybe even find another stock at some point? A project gun.

Any opinions? smile
http://birdpublishing.com/img/another_compare.jpg

Last edited by Gusb; 04/30/14.