Had a fellow come in to the gun shop I worked many years ago who, after hearing a customer and me discussing the unlikeliness of one braggart's 800 yard coyote shot, interjected, "Well me and my brother, we regularrrrly shoot our deer in the head at a thooooousand yards." I pulled out a $100 bill, put on the counter and told him I'd put up one of those for every shot he could put in a bushel basket at that distance if he'd put the same for every shot that failed to land in the basket.

He replied, "Now sir I just ain't a bettin' man, but ifn you know yer rifle you kin do it." I responded that we could take the money off the table and that I'd happily pay someone to measure off and certify 1000 yards, but I'd really like to see the shooter who could hit basically a grapefruit regularly at that distance with a factory rifle, or even a custom one for that matter.

He declined to demonstrate his skill. I chalked it up to another of those blowhards who couldn't judge 100 yards let alone 1000. I put him in the same category as the guy who tried to convince me of his 500 yard kill on a huge bull elk with an SKS and the old 130 grain hollow point ammo. Or the gentleman who claimed he made a kill on an elk at 800 yards with his 30-06 and only had to hold 8" over its back. Hmm, must be using a 650 yard zero.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.