Where we live during the week, there are few people that hunt, and few know the outdoors beyond the parking lot at the mall and the paved trails at the county park. So the majority of my tales are reverse tall stories.

Oh sure, I had a phone repairman once tell me he'd shot an elk so close that the bullet did not have time to expand. He cleaned it with his special custom Browning knife that he paid $300 for. I had a similar knife I'd paid $10 for at the last gun show.

However, the bulk are reverse tall tales. That is, you give an honest account of something mundane and folks think you're telling a whopper.

My son had a heck of a time getting the kids at school to believe he'd shot his first deer. It was a doe, shot at 10 yards with a 30-30. He showed them a picture. His friends thought it was photoshopped. A couple years later he shot a nice buck. No one would believe him. This past year, he killed a buck and had to show his friends a pic of himself with the Mosin Nagant at age 8 to get them to believe it was HIS rifle.

He finally found a friend whose father had taken him deer hunting, but he couldn't believe my son had actually shot the deer with a rifle, because Ohio only allowed shotguns. We hunt in Kentucky

He brought a turkey target to school to show his friends the tight grouping of his choke. His friends thought he was a bad shot, because there were so many holes and so few were in the bullseye. He tried to explain shotguns, and somebody told him he was lying.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer