Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I was reminded a while back of a story told, and claim made by my uncle and his good friend when I was a child and they were in their late 20's, were very much outdoorsmen, and heavy drinkers.
One of them got a 220 Swift, and then proceeded to shoot it at everything he could, extolling its miraculous powers. This went on for years, but one claim stands out: a one-shot kill on a bull elk at 700 yds. That is the story that they spread, that the Swift dropped the elk like lightning at a paced off 700yds. 50 gr factory ammo was used, Remington, IIRC.

There you go. I think about that story once a week or so, and chuckle. What do you have that beats it for outlandish BS?

some of the fellas accusing BS--when it wasn't BS:

back in the late '70's, my old friend Bob S. was doing a plumbing job up in Big Sky.

at the 10 am break, some of the guys went out and sat down for a breather. as they sat there, a yote wandered out of the timber and stood out in the open--about 400 yards distant, and upslope some. the yote quickly split the scene.

when Bob remarked matter of factly that he could have hit the yote at that distance, all the guys immediately cried "BS"!
Bob just shrugged it off...

the next day, at the 10 am break, while some of the guys were taking a breather, one of them said to Bob, "i placed an old lunch box up there on the slope where the yote came out of the timber. you said you could've whacked the yote, prove it to us by shooting that lunch box". Bob spied the black lunch box sitting in the snow.

wordless, Bob went to his truck and retrieved his rifle. he settled into a solid shooting position, and fired.

"there you go", he said. the guy that placed the box on the hill replied, "i took the lunch box up there, so now you should have go get it." Bob quickly hiked up the slope. about 20 feet away, he saw the .22 caliber sized hole, right near the center. he smiled to himself.

as he picked up the lunch box, he saw that it was his. when he got back down to where the guys were, they were all chuckling...

he still has that lunch box today...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...