Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I was reminded a while back of a story told, and claim made by my uncle and his good friend when I was a child and they were in their late 20's, were very much outdoorsmen, and heavy drinkers.
One of them got a 220 Swift, and then proceeded to shoot it at everything he could, extolling its miraculous powers. This went on for years, but one claim stands out: a one-shot kill on a bull elk at 700 yds. That is the story that they spread, that the Swift dropped the elk like lightning at a paced off 700yds. 50 gr factory ammo was used, Remington, IIRC.

There you go. I think about that story once a week or so, and chuckle. What do you have that beats it for outlandish BS?

can't "out-do" your story, but here's a tale.

about 10 years ago there was a guy at work who could tell some really tall tales--the sad part is, he actually believed they were true.

one such tale he told us guys on the jobsite:

"back in the days when i did security work, i caught a guy trying to steal some stuff. i went to put the cuffs on him, but just couldn't get the the bracelets on--he put up a real fight. finally, after a lengthy struggle, i gave up on the cuffs and reached into my pocket and pulled out a length of piano wire. i took the wire and looped it around his junk, pulled it up around his backside and on up around his neck, and man he began to cooperate just real quick like--and i shoulda done it sooner..."

now let's see--you can't get the cuffs on his exposed wrists, so you somehow manage to get a loop of piano wire around "items" that are covered by clothing. yeah sure...

we were all laughing so hard, it was impossible to work.

"wait until i tell ya bout the time i picked up a v8 engine block and set it into a truck bed--all by myself--cuz the other guy who was supposed to help never showed up..."

"or when i was Ken Norton's sparring partner..."

"or the time i ruptured a disc and it sounded like an ought six going off..."

he actually believed it all....

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...