Originally Posted by shaman
The most egregious story comes from a few years ago. Angus was next door, talking to the neighbor girl. All of a sudden, she got a sick look on her face and ran inside. Angus decided something was wrong and came back home.

He'd just started explaining when the doorbell rang. It was the girl's father. He was agitated. He wouldn't come in the house, he was angry and fearful because Angus had told his daughter that he had a .22. Before we go any further into the story, let me just mention that the neighbors are Jewish and I'm 3rd-gen German American. I'm not being hateful; it is relevant to the story.

"Yes," I replied. "He does. Technically, it is mine. He cannot legally own a firearm until he's 18."

I then got a raft of questions: Does he have access to the firearm? Does he have access to the ammo?

I cut the guy off and told him I was an NRA Life Member and kept the firearms according to NRA recommendations, and I'd be happy to give him a pamphlet on how to keep firearms with children in the house and -

"NO." he replied. "I just want your word that your son does not have access to guns."

I assured him we kept the guns safe and that we only shot them at the farm. He skulked off. We packed up and headed to the farm for the weekend.

Sunday, after our return, a very haggard and pale version of the neighbor returned to the front door.

"Yes?"

"Look, you gotta help me. My wife has been all over me. I haven't slept all weekend. I just need your assurance, man-to-man, that your son does not have unfettered access to firearms.

"Yes, that is true. If you like I can send along that pamphlet I mentioned. The NRA is a great source of info-"

"No, that will be enough." He said. "My wife is just very upset and worried."

"About what?"

"About all the guns." replied the neighbor. "She worried that-"

I'd had enough. "Look Dave," I said. "I'll tell you the problem here. The problem is that somebody thinks of us as GERMANS. And they have a real big stinking problem with the idea of GERMANS having GUNS. I get the picture, really clear. "

"NO! That's not it at all."

". . .and you can tell your wife that, as far as I am concerned, I am getting rather annoyed at the idea that someone would be so worried about a GERMAN having a gun. I would have thought we would have all grown past that by now."

I shut the door and we did not talk for the better part of a year.

You need to move to the woods. Doubt I could of been as cordial.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell