Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I'd love to know what factory loaded 200gr bullets you use at 1950 fps that do not expand at all. Please, do tell.

I can easily push a 220gr Speer FP over 2000 fps with my 35 Rems. And they expand nicely. 200 gr can be safely pushed to 2200+ fps.

My 30-30 handloads and 35 Rem handloads both run around 2100 fps. With 170gr and 200gr jacketed soft points, respectively. Both mushroom nicely. To say the smaller diameter, lighter bullet did greater damage would be ludicrous.

You may not notice much difference on deer, but the 35 is easily the better choice for anything larger. Especially when handloaded to it's true potential.......
You go right ahead and believe what you want to believe. I don't give a damn what your chronograph says. I don't give a damn what the "energy figures" for your handloads are and I don't give a damn how many rounds you've loaded for what. I've killed a couple long schit-tons of deer with many different cartridges and bullets. I've watched their reactions, recorded distances traveled after the shot with various shot placements and done hundreds of post mortems noting penetration, wound volume/destruction and exit hole sizes and I know damned good and well what I'm talking about here.

I disagree. But I would still like to know what factory 35 Rem load (as quoted by you)clocks 1950fps and does not expand at all. Please do tell......
Win. Power Point 200 gr. factory loads clocked 1930 fps. out of my 336C and Rem. 200 gr core lokt went about 1980. Neither was any great shakes as far as internal wound destruction or exit wound size as compared to any number of 150 gr. .30-30 factory loads or the 170 gr. Winchester silvertips but old myths like "bigger bullet = more damage = better,quicker killer" die hard.