Just for the record, I never quoted any gunwriters. Just 3 reloading manuals. I was actually loading 35 Rem loads at the time. And yesterday morning, dialed them in nicely.

What you need to understand, is that you are talking about 2 VERY similar projectiles. When it comes to velocity and SD they are nearly identical. The most popular bullets for them are also nearly identical in construction and both expand about the same %. The only difference is, one is LARGER and HEAVIER. And, when handloaded, the 35 Rem case is also LARGER than the 30-30 case. It leaves more room for improvement. Plus, you can load 220s to 2000fps+. NO 30-30 load is going to outpenetrate it, or make a bigger hole. And, like it or not, my handloads ARE faster with either cartridge. More accurate too. My experience backs this up, and so does flat out physics and logic. There are NO magical rounds. NONE. Only physics. All else being equal, the 35 Rem is a more potent round. It can't not be.

The 35 Rem was my first deer rifle. And no, it doesn't hold a special place in my heart because of that. I honestly don't know how many I killed with it, or how many deer I've killed in my life. Let's just say "plenty" on both counts. I killed my first deer with a 30-06. Not a favorite round of mine, but I own several. When I speak of rifles/cartridges, I am completely unbiased. ALWAYS.

When you hear the term "deer bullet", people are talking Core-Lokts, Powerpoints, Hornady RN, SGK, Speer Hot-Cor, etc. etc. Plain old cup and core jacketed softpoints. Been killing millions of deer for 100 years now. When you tell me one of them doesn't expand, it's hard to believe. That's what they are KNOWN for. If the 35 Rem wasn't better than the 30-30, it would have vanished from the shelves long ago(just like the 30 Rem, 25 Rem, and 32 Rem did). It is still around for a reason.

Anyway, we are beating a dead horse now as neither of us is gonna change their opinion........