Originally Posted by sbhooper
It never ceases to amaze me how often this topic comes up on forums. In my opinion, an elk is a tough, thick animal and needs the best caliber/bullet combo that you can shoot.

The difference in recoil between several .270s that I have shot and my 7 mags is negligible. It is more of a mental state than anything. Just because it is a magnum, it automatically kicks more in the eyes of many.

Many of the standard calibers (.308, 06, .270, 7-08 etc.) are great for elk. I think that the .243 is too light for the average person and not acceptable for marginal conditions such as steep angles and long ranges. If you have easy access to un-disturbed elk and have perfect shot ops, then it will work.

I just don't understand why people want to show how great they are by using a light caliber for elk. The cost of an elk hunt can be substantial and I don't want to blow a chance because of not having enough rifle to handle the conditions.

If someone cannot handle the recoil of at least 7-08 or 270, then they should re-consider as to whether they should be hunting elk.

People like to over dramatize how tough elk are, the drama increasing the further east of Rocky Mountains one lives. Real life experience; however, doesn't support this myth. You shoot an elk in the lungs and it dies rather quickly, regardless of caliber.