Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

OTOH a pal's eye was saved by shooting glasses last year from a Rem 700 when the gas came back from a badly blown primer......to be fair he had chambered a 270 in a 280...hard to blame the rifle for that one.

Bob,
I don't understand?
You mean an obviously cultured and obviously saavy .280 owner contaminated his bench with a .270?

AGW: What can I say? It happens!

My pal owns both,and had them both at the range that day.Had no idea what happened until he got to my house and I extracted the fired case from the rifle. The extractor slipped over the rim of the fired case, which seemed firmly stuck but I was able to poke it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle.

Seems the 270 is short on headspace in a 280 chamber. You would not think it would be that bad with that 270 bullet rattling down a 7mm bore,but seems there was just enough resistance to light a fire....the 270 case did not expand completely to the 280 chamber (shoulder did not blow forward),and the gas leaked back around the cartridge; blew the primer completely. I can't say whether the gas came back through the loading port, or back through the bolt body.

Anyway it was a mess, but could have been worse.

Prairie Goat would bushing the pin have helped?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.