SanSouci,

I don�t know why you got in an uproar. All I did was suggest you were being a little hard on Craig, and stated why.

I�m perfectly willing to admit that a large part of gun writing is entertainment, but that doesn�t mean it�s all BS. My guess, based on knowing Craig and the business in general, is Craig�s editor assigned him that specific subject. Why? Well, to entertain, and stir up some controversy, sure. But also because Craig has killed a pile of big game around the world, mostly while looking for the biggest trophy possible, including a bunch of elk�and also been alongside many companions when they were doing the same thing, as well as talked to a bunch of professional guides. His books always include the opinions of such professionals, to provide a well-rounded viewpoint.

Craig is certainly as entitled to an opinion about the �best� cartridge for various kinds of big game as anybody around, and far more than most. I have not only known him for over 30 years but hunted with him and worked for him. He�s as honest as anybody I know, and far more experienced than 99% of hunting/gun writers. So yeah, I spoke up about your opinion, which is based on far less knowledge than any piece of entertainment Craig ever wrote.

In my own gun writing I try to combine entertainment with some results, whether scientific or not. The world would be a dull place if it was limited to �just the facts.� In the process I�ve not only hunted quite a bit (though not as much as Craig), but have visited various factories where ammunition, rifles, optics, etc. are made, along with various ballistics labs. Many of those people have a high enough regard for my technical knowledge that they�ve helped me considerably with even more. So no, my knowledge is not gained strictly from shooting �media� and game.

Though I must note that every highly-regarded hunting bullet and ammo company not only tests bullets in media, but then goes on to test them in a lot of animals, because bullets don�t always act the same in animals as in meda. So far this is the only way to get a somewhat �scientific� notion of how bullets will perform in the field. In a way it�s like biology: Results can�t be as exact as in some other branches of science, but overall results can provide useful and valid information.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck