Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by SansSouci
........ what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer.................

The 270 Winchester! smile

This i agree with 100% and i could hunt with the 270 and be happy the rest of my life, but i must say the best cartridge for any type of hunting is the round the rifle you are carrying is chambered for and that you can shoot the best in the field . It really comes down to this,that some cartridges are better than others as the game gets bigger and heavier. Speed kill and speed combined with heavier bullets just kill better on really big game like Elk and Bear. I really don't think a Mule Deer or Elk really cares if you are using a 270, 30-06, 280 or 7mm Mag, if you shoot straight you will bag him if you don't then he will get away crippled or untouched and more wise to the education you just gave him if he survives .

Bea: I couldn't agree more. Nice summary!

My comment was kind of TIC,since I know for sure there are other cartridges as good or better than the 270 for mule deer,depending how and where you are hunting them.This does not take away from the fact that the 270 gives generally satisfactory results. smile

Yes, If shooting at deer over 400 yds I prefer the 270 Wby or 270 wsm.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.